If you are already a Motability Scheme user or are thinking of applying, you may have some queries about the scheme. To help, we have answered ten of the most commonly asked questions below....

  1. Am I eligible to join the scheme?

To join the Motability Scheme, you must be in receipt of one of the following allowances:

  • Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
You will need to have at least 12 months remaining on your allowance when you apply.

2. Can I still get a Motability car even if I dont drive?

Yes you can! You can have what's called, 'Nominated Drivers, these can be changed by contacting RSA Motability. To be accepted, they will need to meet Motability’s named driver stipulations and RSAM’s eligibility criteria. You will need to supply RSAM with certain details of the new drivers, and they will also need to speak to RSAM to give their consent for their details to be checked with the DVLA.

3.Who do I need to tell when I move house?

You need to inform Crayford and Abbs, the Motability Scheme, the DVLA, and The Department for Work and Pensions or Veterans UK if you change your contact details or move house. You can update your details with the Motability Scheme using the tool found here on the Motability website.

4.Can I add my personalised number plate to the motability car?

It may be possible to add a personalised number plate to your Motability car but this will be at motability's discretion and an administration fee may apply.

5. Who will affected by the new Personal Independence Payment?

The Personal Independence Payment (PIP) will replace DLA for disabled people aged between 16 and 64 even if they receive an ‘indefinite’ or ‘lifetime’ award. Click here to access the Government’s PIP checker tool to find out if it affects you.

6. Can I cancel my agreement?

It is only possible to cancel your agreement if you have a valid and justifiable reason. You may need to pay a fee of up to £250 and will not be eligible for a Good Condition Bonus. If you are considering cancelling your lease agreement, please speak to your Crayford and Abbs Motability adviser.

7.What do I do when I'm ready for my next car?

You can order your next Motability car three months before an existing lease runs out. It is sensible to start thinking about a replacement before however, to speed up the process. Click here to download the Scheme’s ‘guide to leasing a Motability car’. This answers more common questions, includes a ‘countdown checklist’ and updates you on any changes since you last made an application.

8.How often should I service my car?

How often your car needs to be serviced will depend on the manufacturer and model. MG recommends a service every 12 months or after a certain number of miles before this. Please speak to one of our advisers for information on servicing intervals for your model.

9.I’m getting a new car, what should I do with my current car?

You simply give it back to us on the same day you pick up your next car.

10. What are my options at the end of my lease agreement?

You have three options once your lease agreement ends. They are:

  • lease another car through the Scheme for three years;
  • request that you extend your existing lease plan; or
  • return your car and reinstate your mobility allowance.
  • 11.Can I Part-Exchange my old car?

    As a new customer starting a Motability lease, it is possible to trade in your old car. Talk to one of our Motability specialists for more information.

    12. How do Motability Collect Payments?

    This is dealt via a direct transfer with the relevant benefit agencies every 4 weeks.

    13. How much does it cost leasing through the scheme?

    This will depend on the car. Talk to one of our Motability specialists today.

    14. Why do some cars have an advanced payment?

    Your mobility allowance may not cover the cost of some of the larger or higher specification cars. These cars require an advance payment to the cover difference between your mobility allowance and the overall cost of the car you want.

    15. What is Personal Independent Payment?

    PIP is an allowance that's gradually replacing the Disability Living Allowance. There are 2 parts to PIP: a daily living allowance and a mobility allowance. Then for each allowance, there are 2 rates, a standard rate and an enhanced rate. You'll be eligible for a Nissan on Motability by using the enhanced rate.

    If you have any more questions, please call or visit Crayford and Abbs in Bodham and ask to speak with a Motability specialist.