The Motability Scheme – FAQs

If you are already a Motability Scheme user or are thinking of applying, you may have some queries about the scheme. To help, we have answered ten of the most commonly asked questions below.

1.Can I change my nominated drivers?

You can change your nominated driver by contacting RSA Motability. To be accepted, they will need to meet Motability’s named driver stipulations and RSAM’s eligibility criteria. You will need to supply RSAM with certain details of the new drivers, and they will also need to speak to RSAM to give their consent for their details to be checked with the DVLA.

2.Who do I need to tell when I move house?

You need to inform Crayford and Abbs, the Motability Scheme, the DVLA, and The Department for Work and Pensions or Veterans UK if you change your contact details or move house. You can update your details with the Motability Scheme using the tool found here on the Motability website.

3.What about my next car on the Scheme?

You can order your next Motability car three months before an existing lease runs out. It is sensible to start thinking about a replacement before however, to speed up the process. Click here to download the Scheme’s ‘guide to leasing a Motability car’. This answers more common questions, includes a ‘countdown checklist’ and updates you on any changes since you last made an application.

4.Can I add a personalised number plate to my car?

It may be possible to add a personalised number plate to your Motability car, but this will be decided by the Scheme and you may need to pay an administration fee. More information on personalised number plates can be found here.

5.Who will be affected by the new Personal Independence Payment?

The Personal Independence Payment (PIP) will replace DLA for disabled people aged between 16 and 64 even if they receive an ‘indefinite’ or ‘lifetime’ award. Click here to access the Government’s PIP checker tool to find out if it affects you.

6.Am I eligible to apply for the Motability Scheme?

It is likely that you will be eligible if you receive one of the following mobility allowances and are due to be awarded at least 12 months’ more payments:

  • Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA);
  • Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP);
  • War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS); or
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).
  • 7.Can I cancel my lease agreement?

    It is only possible to cancel your agreement if you have a valid and justifiable reason. You may need to pay a fee of up to £250 and will not be eligible for a Good Condition Bonus. If you are considering cancelling your lease agreement, please speak to your Crayford and Abbs Motability adviser.

    8.How often should I service my car?

    How often your car needs to be serviced will depend on the manufacturer and model. Nissan recommends a service every 12 months or after a certain number of miles before this. Please speak to one of our advisers for information on servicing intervals for your model.

    9.I’m getting a new car, what should I do with my current car?

    You simply give it back to us on the same day you pick up your next car.

    10.What are my options at the end of my lease agreement?

    You have three options once your lease agreement ends. They are:

  • lease another car through the Scheme for three years;
  • request that you extend your existing lease plan; or
  • return your car and reinstate your mobility allowance.
  • If you have any more questions, please call or visit Crayford and Abbs in Mundesley or Bodham and ask to speak with a Motability specialist.